Higher Education & International Academic Collaboration
Though the state of Kerala exceeds the national average GER in higher education (HE), the State is still to establish itself as an outstanding location for higher learning and research, making this a priority area in urgent need of fresh ideas for rapid development in the years to come.
The broad themes that are of immediate interest to us are:
- Curricular innovations. Strategies to strengthen the student’s specific disciplinary knowledge while simultaneously introducing relevant methodological developments from other disciplines to enable truly transdisciplinary research at the research degree level. Explore how new technologies of instruction, such as MOOCs can best be introduced in colleges and universities and set up inter-university groups for developing online courses.
- Institutional innovations. Learn from successful institutional innovations from outside the State to develop flexible administrative regulations that are transparent and responsive to the requirements of teachers and students. Sharing the experience of setting up centres for Excellence, as resources for furthering research and teacher development would be a useful input for us in planning ahead.
- Networks for teaching, research, and student exchange: Kerala looks forward to substantially expanding national and transnational networks for teaching, research, and student exchange. In this context, suggestions for developing a pool of experts from different disciplines, who would be willing to mentor and provide advice, will be most helpful in the future.
- Innovations in library and information availability: We are particularly interested in learning more about the ways in which libraries have been in transformed in the context of increasing use and sharing of e-resources and social spaces between institutions on different campuses.
- Social inclusion: Issues of safeguarding and extending the socially inclusive character of higher education today.
Kerala State Planning Board.
Pattom, Thiruvananthapuram KERALA 695 004