Mr. N V Varghese
Professor N.V. Varghese is currently Vice Chancellor of the National University of Educational Plannning and Administration, New Delhi. He holds a doctoral degree in Economics with specialization in educational planning. He was the founding Director of the Centre for Policy Research in Higher Education (CPRHE/NIEPA), New Delhi (2013-2019); Head of Governance and Management in Education at the International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP/UNESCO), Paris (2006- 2013); Head of its Training and Education Programmes at IIEP, Paris (2001- 2006) and Head of higher education and specialized training, at IIEP, Paris (1999-2001). He was responsible for designing and introducing the IIEP Master’s programme in educational planning and management. While at IIEP, he was the Secretary General and responsible for the Secretariat of the International Working Group on Education (IWGE) which is a network of funding agencies in education.
In the 1990s he was Professor and Head of Educational Planning at NIEPA, New Delhi. He was also Head of the DPEP Cell in NIEPA. He was responsible for managing an Asian regional network – the Asian Network of Training and Research Institutions in Educational Planning (ANTRIEP) and was editor of its Newsletter. He was responsible for developing methodologies of decentralized planning and was leading activites associated with educational planning at the federal and decentralised levels in India. He was also responsible for the design and development of externally funded education projects in India during 1992-1999.
He has been member of several Internatioanl Boards/Committes and editorial Boards of Journals. He is also the Chief Editor of the Journal for Educational PLannning and Administration. He has directed several national and international research projects; carried out research projects in several countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America and CIS region; published more than 30 books and research reports, and more than 200 research papers and articles in academic Journals in the areas related to educational planning, financing and higher education.
- India Higher Education Report 2019: Governance of higher education (with Garima Malick), Sage, New Delhi,2020.
- Governance in Higher Education: A Handbook for Vice Chancellors (Coauthor), University Grants Commission, New Delhi , 2019
- Education Democracy and Development (with M. Bandopadhyay) Shipra for NIEPA, New Delhi, 2019.
- India Higher Education Report 2018 : Financing of Higher Education ( with Jinusha Panigrahi) Sage, New Delhi, 2019.
- India Higher Education Report 2017 : Teaching, learning and quality in higher education ( with Anupam Pachauri and Sayantan Mandal), Sage, New Delhi 2018.
- India Higher Education Report 2016 : Equity ( with N.Sabarwal and C.M.Malish), Sage New Delhi 2018.
- India Higher Education Report 2015 ( with Garima Malick), Routledge, (Francis and Taylor group ( London and New Delhi), 2016.
- Reforms and Changes in Governance of Higher Education in Africa, Paris, IIEP/UNESCO, 2017.
- From Schooling to Learning ( IWGE Report), Paris, IIEP/NESCO, ( 2014).
- Higher Education in Asia : Expanding out and Expanding up – the rise of graduate educaiton and university research, (co-author) Montreal, UIS (2014).
- Governance reforms in higher education: A study of institutional autonomy in Asian countries (With Michaela Martin) Paris, IIEP/UNESCO (2014).
- Diversification of Post-Secondary Education, Paris, IIEP/UNESCO, (2014).
- Higher education in regional and city development: State of Penang, Malaysia (co-author), Paris, OECD, (2011).
- Financing Education: Redesigning national strategies and the global aid architecture (with Lene Buchert), Paris, IIEP/UNESCO (2011).
- Directions in Educational Planning: International experiences and perspectives (with Mark Bray), Paris: IIEP/UNESCO (2011).
Kerala State Planning Board.
Pattom, Thiruvananthapuram KERALA 695 004